Holiday Retirement Sous Chef in Peoria, Arizona
Job Title: Sous Chef Job Code: 6819 Department: Dining Services Job Family: Field Operations Reports to: Executive Chef FLSA: Non-Exempt Job Overview:
In the role of Sous Chef and member of the Dining Services team, you will be responsible to prepare nutritious, appetizing, and attractive meals for our residents and ensure a smooth, efficient and safe operation of the kitchen.
• Review menus and food-production instructions and prepare meals following Holiday menus and recipes while ensuring portion-control standards.
• Oversee preparation and set-up of service to serve nutritious food, attractively garnished in a punctual manner.
• Follow food safe handling procedures in preparation as well as proper procedures for covering, labeling, dating, and storing food.
• Accurately complete logs in a timely manner i.e., refrigerator, freezer and production sheets
• Follow Holiday sanitation standards by effectively cleaning while working, including preparation and serving areas, pots and pans, kitchen surfaces, walls, and floors, using appropriate cleaning schedules and charts.
• In absence of the Executive Chef, oversee the food service staff and overall kitchen operations.
• Focus on resident satisfaction and resolve any food-compliant issues as needed.
• Perform administrative duties including menu planning, ordering, receiving, invoice processing, inventory, end-of- month report, staffing and payroll if needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Minimum 2 years’ experience in industry or full-service restaurant cooking
• Effective communication in English and excellent customer service skills
• Experience mentoring and directing others
• Ability to prepare and follow recipes
• General knowledge of and ability to conform to sanitation and safe food handling practices
• Basic Computer skills
TA-0037-JD 03.12.16 Page 2 of 3
Competencies Core to all Holiday Retirement positions: Compassion – Genuinely cares about people Customer Focus – Is dedicated to meeting the needs and expectations of the internal and external customer Ethics, Integrity, & Values – Adheres to Holiday’s core values and beliefs during both good and bad times.
Specific to the position:
• Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging
• Not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning
• Seizes more opportunities than others
Dealing with Ambiguity
• Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably
• Can decide and act without having the total picture; isn’t upset when things are up in the air
• Doesn’t have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
• Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough
• Is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle
stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected
• Doesn’t show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis
• Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of
• Uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values time
• Concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than
• Can attend to a broader range of activities.
• Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all
• Can represent his/her own interests and yet be fair to other groups; can solve problems with peers
with a minimum of noise
• Is seen as a team player and is cooperative; easily gains trust and support of peers; encourages
collaboration; can be candid with peers Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
• While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time; stand and walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear.
• This position operates in a professional office environment which may be noisy or disruptive at times.
• The role routinely use standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and fax machines.
• This is a full time position reporting to the Home Office location with typical office hours and additional time as needed.
• Travel by airplanes, trains and automobiles as needed. May be overnight.
TA-0037-JD 03.12.16 Page 3 of 3
Physical Requirements/Work Environment: TASK Continuous Intermittent Seldom Not Applicable
Lifting/Lowering/Carrying – Weights
Up to 20 lbs
Greater than 20 lbs
Greater than 50 lbs
Lifting/Lowering/Carrying – Ranges
Floor to Knuckle
Knuckle to Shoulder
Shoulder and above
Climbing/ reaching hard-to-clean spots <1% of day
Operating arm controls or leg controls
Upper body-shoulder/elbow use
Working at Heights
Operating Mobile Equipment/Machinery/Vehicle
*Continuous = 66-99% of the day; Intermittent = 33 – 66% of the day; Seldom = 0-33% of the day
By signing below, I acknowledge that I have received this job description. My signature further acknowledges that I have reviewed this job description and understand that I have the individual responsibility to fulfill all of the essential duties and responsibilities listed on a consistent and ongoing basis.
Employee Signature Date
This job description is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities of and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended to be inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.
Holiday Retirement is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military or veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
Copyright © 2014 Korn Ferry. All Rights Reserved.
Job Ref: 6819